Monday, November 21, 2011

SGS2 - GT-I9100 : GPS issues - taking ages to get a lock

Hi,

First of all, I must say since day 1 when I acquired my S2 in June (running Android 2.3.3) I always had gps problems, i.e it takes ages to get a lock ("Searching for GPS" message) with Google Navigation even in open air - clear sky (with all options Use wireless networks, Use GPS satellites and Use sensor aiding ticked).I upgraded to the latest firmware 2.3.5 KJ3 a couple of weeks ago hoping the problem would be fixed - unfortunately it didn't.
I finally did some online research until I found the following thread :

http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/guide-gps-quickest-fix-solution.2022

it sounds to me the problem is related to the NTP_SERVER entry in file /etc/system/gps.conf distributed with the vodafone firmware :

NTP_SERVER=north-america.pool.ntp.org

My guess is the above should be set to europe.pool.ntp.org instead, but as I haven't rooted my phone, I am not able to amend it and test (the file if read-only).

Has anyone noticed this issue and knows how to address it?

Thanks

source

No comments:

Post a Comment